"We should not pause and remember to thank first responders and police officers only in the wake of tragedy...We should do it every day."
--President Barak Obama at 2013 National Peace Officers' Memorial Service
"All of you in law enforcement, you devote your lives to serving and protecting your communities. Many of you have done it for your country as well. After serving two tours in Iraq as a Marine, Bradley Michael Fox retired with honor and followed his dream to becoming a police officer. He had been with the Plymouth Township Police Department in Pennsylvania for five years when he was shot and killed pursuing a suspect last September. It was the day before his 35th birthday, and six months before the birth of his son," (www.whitehouse.gov).
In 2012, 127 law enforcement officers died on duty in the U.S., according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. The causes of their deaths follow:
- Traffic-related incidents (50)
- Firearms-related fatalities (49)
- Job-related illnesses (14)
- Stabbings (5)
- Falls (3)
- Helicopter crashes (2)
- Beatings (2)
- Air plane crashes (1)
- Boating incidences (1)
Texas lost more of its officers (10) than any other state in 2012. Earlier this month, 25 names were added to the Texas Peace Officer's Memorial wall from the last two years, (www.kvue.com).
Since 1791, nearly 20,000 law enforcement officers have died in the line of duty in the U.S. Already, 2013 has seen 41 line-of-duty deaths.
“Each and every day, police officers ... step out the doors of their homes with a quiet courage and conviction to shield us from harm,” said West Virginia State Sen. Bill Laird, D-Fayette, a former sheriff, (www.register-herald.com).
"Currently, there are 19,981 names engraved on the walls of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial," (www.nleomf.org). Thank you to the over 900,000 men and women serving as sworn law enforcement officers in this country. May you return home safely at the end of each shift.
- Kallergis, Foti and Heather Kovar, "Fallen Officers Remembered with Ceremony, Parade," www.kvue.com, 5-6-2013.
- Moore, C.V., "Thin Blue Line--National Peace Officers Memorial Day Observed," www.register-herald.com, 5-16-2013.
- National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, "127 Law Enforcement Officers Killed Nationwide in 2012," www.nleomf.org, 12-27-2012.
- National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, "Law Enforcement Facts," www.nleomf.org, (accessed 5-15-2013).
- National Police Week, "About National Police Week," www.policeweek.org, (accessed 5-15-2013).
- Office of the Press Secretary, "Remarks by the President at the National Peace Officers Memorial Service," www.whitehouse.gov, 5-15-2013.
- Peluso, Paul, "President Obama Honors Fallen Officers at Memorial," www.officer.com, 5-15-2013.